Friday, May 23, 2014

My Fairy Tale

I think Albert Einstein has rightly said, "“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
Sunil, now in grade seven has started to be so curious towards, reading and showing what new thing he has learnt. He comes to me and says, "Miss, I read the whole book and also understood it. But I can't say it in English, so first I will say in Nepali and then try in English." I smile looking at him and remind him the rules of our class that we need to try and express whatever we know in English. He insists to say in Nepali then in English. Finally I agree and he starts to say the story in Nepali and then tries in his broken English. I know if any other listens to it, they may laugh at it. But his broken English gives me an immense pleasure that he at least is speaking because, it's like a miracle to me. He was the same child whom I used to beg to speak. He would never speak. He would just stay quite whatever question I used to ask him and now, he raises his hand each time to speak. 




Rohan, another student of the same grade was so eager to show me his old torn small pocket dictionary that he had borrowed from his elder brother. Nowadays, that dictionary is always with him. He says me time and again that  if I need that dictionary anytime I could go and ask with him. He has become so curious to learn the new vocabularies and word meanings. 

Denish, now has the habit of reading 'Republica'. He is the first person to go and grab the newspaper whenever it is delivered. He first turns the page of sports and then slowly turns towards the op-ed page, just to see that if there is anything he can use in his speech that he has to say in assembly. 
oh! oh ! am I talking only about boy? My girls are also not less. Last Friday Ssabina had to present on small poem book. There were not more than five words. Boys said that it was not useful for them but she created a tune for it and then sang that in a beautiful way and all the boys were thinking why we didn't thought about that way. 
Hasana, with her other three best friends, they are so creative that each time they prepare for their presentation, they have a new method. They always compete with boys to draw the pictures of the stories. I don't know from where they generate new ideas but every week they come with a new one and that really surprises me. 
These all the miracles, really amuses me. I wait for Fridays to come. Yes, exactly it's the weekend, ha ha. But more than that, it's the day when my children do the presentation of the story books and the fairy tales that they have read for the last one week and every time I see it, it brings a big smile on my face and I am forced to think is this my fairy tale?  

No comments:

Post a Comment