Saturday, August 9, 2014

Gift from mother; younger brother


One fine morning, when I was being ready for my school, my dad came rushing towards me and said me not to go school today as we were going to leave for Biratnagar. I was not in a condition to understand why? But I was happy as my mom was also joining us as per him. I thought we were going for a visit at our maternal uncle's house as his house was also there at Biratnagar; what else can a four year child think about?
 I was just putting my bags inside and was asking the reason with my mom; my dad came hurried and supported her to walk and took her to the ambulance which was waiting outside our house. What has happened to her? Then I became nervous. I too sat nearby her where she was lying. I could feel her pain.
My mom was taken inside a room at the hospital, my dad was rushing here and there and I, in my school dress was sitting outside the room where she was kept. I was eager to go inside the room with my mom but my dad said that I had to stay there. He warned me not to go here and there and sit there as a good child. After sometime my mom will be giving a wonderful gift to me. Gift? At hospital? May be if I was a child at this time, I would have surely guessed what would be that gift. But, then I was really very innocent and was really waiting a precious gift from my mom being a good girl. I was alone there outside the room just obeying my dad. He used to frequently come and check.
I didn't have a watch then, so I don't know the exact time. But after a long wait. Finally my dad took me inside where my mother was lying on the bed and beside her was my small gift.  He was in a deep sleep. My mother told me to touch him, but was afraid. He was so cute and adorable. My mom asked me what I would like to call him by. I don't know why, but I loved calling him Sujan; which I had heard somewhere around people saying that the meaning of which was 'ramro manche' (Good man). And, yes all the other people know him by the same name today.
Really he was so so and so cute. My eyes were stuck on his chubby cheeks. I wanted to hold him around my arms but my mother said me not to as I was too young to hold him. But after few months when my mom wasn't around I held him and made him fall from the bed. He cried in a loud noise and I promised with myself I will never dare to do that.
It was nice growing up with someone like him-someone I got to lean on, someone to count on and someone to tell all the secrets.
What else can be more precious in my life?
Obviously it's the gift from mother
And  it's even incalculable as the gift is a younger brother. 

2 comments: