Thursday, December 18, 2014

In quest for the answers

The revelation of new grading system of School Leaving Certificate is now the heat of the moment. No student will fail the School Leaving Certificate (SLC) exams from next year have just spread like a slogan. The government has decided to replace the evaluation of students using the categorical 'pass', 'fail' by grade system. Students will be graded on a 6-point scale from A+ to E.
As a general public, I read the news, and then thought for some time for its pros and cons. But before I could finalize its merits and demerits, the critics forwarded their opinion about it and I am happy that this made my thought process easier. Some people have open heartedly welcomed the new system where as some have drawn some criticisms on it.
Here, I neither want to go for nor against it because as far as I know, the personnel who have unveiled this system are the ones who have experienced a lot, have gained lot of knowledge and know more about our education system.  l also know that they must have done some research and backward planning before making it public and deciding it to be executed from next year. After reading the news, I had some questions. 
Let me beg you; please don't call me inpatient for my questions as I waited for a whole week to get it answered. I went through the news portals and almost all the search engines to find out its answers but couldn't find it. So finally I am penning it down.
According to the Curriculum Development Center, a student's 10 years can't be judged with 32 marks. As many students fail in the SLC examination due to the number grading system which has caused negative effects on academic sector. But as far as the information I have gained up to now, how is it so different from the present numbering system?
As per the new system students securing above 90 percentage will be graded A+ (Distinction) while percentage from 80 to 89 will be given A (Excellent) grade. Likewise, 60 to 79 percentages will secure B (Very good), 40 to 59 percentages under C (Good) and 25 to 39 percentages under the D (Weak) grades. Students below 25 percentages will be listed in the E (Very weak) grade. In this context, as per my knowledge, the system will only replace the words 'Pass' and 'Fail' by some other better sounding adjectives 'Good' and 'Weak'. It still is categorical and it only focuses on the academic excellence or on the basis of test papers of grade ten. What about those students who don't excel in academic but are good beyond it. The system doesn't mention about it. I may be wrong, but what I think is if we are concerned in the over all negative effect of the prevalent system, then we all are waiting for such system in which our children would be judged not only on the basis of their text book knowledge but also beyond it, otherwise the psychological effect would be the same after the results as those students who would feel hurt with the word 'Fail' in their results would feel the same when they see 'Weak' in it.
I heard that the aim of this grading system is to not only to improve the grading system but also to upgrade the secondary level examination evaluation process. Sorry to ask here also but, when the foundation is weak; will it not be difficult to say that we will anyhow upgrade the top floor? Wouldn't it be more beneficial if we had started it from the bottom level, so that our children would start being habituated on it and even teachers would gain more knowledge on evaluation procedure of the system itself?
Will the question papers and module of question be same even in the new grading system? If not then, teachers need to know the questions module also on time. Otherwise making children do a new set of questions in haste may cause another problem as well.
Another question, we all know that the best High Schools want to take the best students. So, what will be the context if our High Schools would only admit the 'Distinction' 'Excellent', 'Very Good' and 'Good' grade holders? What will our 'Weak' and 'Very Weak' children go? Don't they deserve to get the quality education? And what shall we do with the 'Very Weak' students? Aren't we going to take their re-examination? Or, are we going to let them go on their own way as any how they have completed their schooling?
Last but not the least, I am a Teach For Nepal Fellow and have been teaching for one and half years to the secondary level students. And with this revelation, I have noticed a drastic change in my students' behavior towards studying. Since, my experience in this sector is less; I want to find out some solutions for myself as I have seen that now a days they say that no one is going to fail SLC, so there is no matter of putting up our effort on to it. I am a bit disappointed with their views. I am surely not against their happiness but my concern is only that are they right?

How should I answer to their queries? I would be grateful if I could get the answers on time so that when I would guide them or start teaching them from next session, I may give them correct guidelines and suggestions. Until and unless, I am clear on this system, I can't help my kids on it. I am not sure but I think I represent the feelings of some teachers who too are in quest for the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment