Thursday, January 8, 2015

When Bodde walked into my classroom

What have you been doing there at Chapagaun? Is it your career? Why did you quit your job? It was good. You were doing well. This sudden shift in job will hamper you professional life and many more. I had been listening these statements since a long time and most probably it started the day since I made up my mind to join Teach For Nepal and is still going on when I am at the stage of going to complete my two years of fellowship.
I had a strong will power to continue it and am doing it. Now when I am nearly at the end of it, I have a strong desire of being involved in this further more as by now I have started to enjoy it. I have started to like the way children behave. I have started to interact with them. Before two years, I had a different reason to join this movement. I had a desire to be in the society and be part of a change rather than just advocating about it. And now, I am obsessed with it. The slow and small change that I can feel has really made me crave more for it. But with all these thoughts also, some where I may not have been able to answer those frequent questions that people raise towards me. Also, sometimes I would feel am I in the right place?- I would have progressed more if I had been doing something for my career. I had to go through the thick and thin moments, also had highs and lows. When I am saying that now, I have been obsessed with what I am doing now, there are also times when I feel frustrated and irritated.
I got all my queries answered. All those negative thoughts just passed away so magnificently when US Ambassador to Nepal Peter W. Bodde walked into my classroom and answered one of my students' question "Our country is not developed like America, so if you actually were born here as a Nepali, then what would you be doing here at Nepal?" He just replied looking towards me, " I would be doing what your teacher is doing."
We were informed that 'One day in a classroom' initiative is going to launch soon with the aim of introducing our students to the leaders of various sectors. We, all fellows were excited as well as nervous about it. I too was with the same feeling and it was more when I knew that the initiative is going to launch from our school and more than that US Ambassador to Nepal, Peter W Bodde, himself is going to come into my classroom. I was nervous about it. My students were nervous too. So, now my responsibility was to hide my nervousness and help my students be away from their nervousness. That's why I started preparing for it. I gave them information about who an Ambassador is? What are his duties and responsibilities and many more.

Then, it was January 8, 12:20 pm, the time when Bodde was said to be there at the class. He was there, exactly on time with his great smile and positivity. He started with the wonderful story of a Malawian youth called Willian Kamkwamba, who built a windmill in his village with limited resources. With his story he continuously focused them to believe in themselves, keep on trying and respecting each others. Then, he let the floor open for my students to ask questions to him. They had their queries on his personal and professional life. And it really went on nicely. During the whole process, I could feel that they were still nervous, but they didn't show it. They seemed really confident. The forty minutes was over and Bodde walked out from the classroom, leaving his long lasting impression. He not only made my students confident and motivated them for believing on what they are doing, but me as well for what I have been doing. It was really wonderful feeling welcoming him in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment