Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Rise to Life (Story of Transformation 7) Photo Story

It has already been weeks after the disaster. Heard from the aged people, that they had never ever felt such tremor in their lives before. It makes us realize how huge was the disaster. 7.8 earthquake took the lives of thousands of our people, destroyed hundreds of our historical monuments, collapsed our skyscrapers, even smashed our dreams. Amid all these, what I have now become thankful is it has made me understand how beautiful our life is and how precious it is. Yes, we faced the tragedy, but this gave us a meaning into our lives for those who survived.
The disaster helped me to deconstruct the meaning of Suzanne Weyn's quote, "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." 
April 25, 11.56 pm, I was on my bed,
too ill to wake up, and then the my bed started to dance.
 Cries of people woke me up, but I was unable to react.
My name was being called frequently, then finally I moved outside.
The houses around my place were safe, except this wall,
 so I felt the quake was just the normal one.
I called my parents, they were safe.

Everyone was on streets, chaos was all around. 
I, too was roaming on the streets and found this hungry dog,
helped him with some biscuits. 

The backyard of one of my friends house,
where I along with some other friends
and his family stayed overnight. 
April 26; Heard that one of our fellows of 2nd cohort,
Sujita Chaudhary is no more with us.
Though I had never been close to her, this news made me cry.

April 27; I was still not being able to get out from the tragedy,
then 'Moomin' helped me a lot to forget it with his playful nature.

Spent the day on gardening; notice this rosebud and
 realized the beauty of nature that how
it can give a ray of hope even on destruction.

April 28; early in the morning went to the garden and
was happy to see the petals of rosebud opening.
Add caption

April 29; the rose was smiling more today,
it was arousing more hope on me and
helping me to be more positive and brave.
Decided to go to Chapagaun and meet my students 
but as there were no vehicles running, it was being difficult. 
And he helped me out reach there.

Three rooms of the school was damaged. Met some students
after a long time and was happy to talk to them.
Some of their houses were cracked.

April 30; Oh, the rose is on full bloom today. Loads of happiness. 
Went to Basantapur Durbar Square Area and helped there in the works around there.

May 1: Went to the cafe that we used to go regularly,
found that the shelter of this family is safe.

Work at Basantapur continued and the happy moment was
to see so many youths being involved.

May 2 : Followed the same routine

May 3; The work continued, but had to leave
after some injury on my hand.


May 4; started working of fund and relief collection
for 'Rebuild our Communities' campaign


May 5; remembered Sujita, letf me in a dilemma about life.
May 6; Still working for the campaign.

May 7; Some difficult feelings aroused, started to think about children,
about how to make students feel better.
 Realized I need to be happy and hopeful myself first.

May 8; Wanted to visit, so set out for a walk and
 realized that there is still some beauty left there.
May 9,10 and 11; Loved the mother nature, her rules, her love, her fury and her beauty.
Started to think positive and work for better.

May 12; Was in a restaurant when we were hit by another
 big earthquake of 7.4 but this time,
it shook me less as I had already gone through
 all these phases of being scared, being frustrated,
being  hopeful and being brave enough to handle the trauma. 
This devastation made me realize, life is beautiful;
one day, one hour, one minute, it'll not come again,
so we need to avoid fight, avoid anger, speak lovingly and spread our smile.

There is still hope and strength left inside us for the better transformation. 

At this moment when I don't have much words to describe how am I feeling, I just want to borrow the words of Martin Luther King Jr, "As my sufferings mounted I soon realized that there were two ways in which I could respond to my situation-- either to react with bitterness or seek to transform the suffering into creative force. I decided to follow the latter course." Thank you everyone who helped me in this transformation of body, mind and soul. Hope you too have gone through the same phases of transformation. In this phase what we must not forget is 'we are alive for a reason'. Let's find out that reason and I am sure though the reason may be different for all of us, the reason is good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment