Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Global Youth Ambassador; one step more to end the education inequity

Education is the prime sector that directly affects our lives and mine is also not far from it. Being the daughter of a middle class family of a Nepalese society, I have faced many troubles only to get the quality education which my other family members longed for. That's why as soon as I was enrolled in the high school level, I thought of helping the needy children, especially the girl children, so I started taking part in different volunteering  programs which gave me an immense pleasure inside my heart and made me more passionate about it.
hosting my television advocacy program Pariwesh (Society)
Thus, I chose my career as a journalist and started producing an advocacy television program which used to research on the deep level about the condition of women and children residing in the remote areas of Nepal. I used to go different places and talk with the children and women around there. Most of them were leading a very tragic life mostly due to the lack of education. Though our government has made primary level education free, most of the people are unaware about it also and don't go to school. For three years I did my job and was able to influence the lives of more than hundreds of people and being able to make enroll some of the needy children to school through the help of some Non-governmental organizations. I was feeling happy in my success till the date when I went to one of the remote village of Morang district of Nepal where a 14 year old girl was gang raped by her classmates. And whole village thought that it was the fault of the girl and her family for giving her the freedom to go to school. Then I realized only advocating does not change the lives but working with them and changing the concept is the main thing. So I thought that I must change the thinking pattern from the bottom level and it would be possible only if I worked as a teacher as I could teach them not only the curriculum but these kinds of morals which would affect even their family members and their future generations also. So I came to be the fellow of Teach for Nepal, an organization working to end educational inequity and chose to be the volunteer teacher of Jyotidaya Co-operative Secondary School  and have been teaching for one year and have been contracted to teach further for one more year. 

And I am noticing the change I am bringing not only in the children but also in the community through education.My job as a teacher has made me more passionate about Education. I not only teach them the curriculum but other life skills that they should have in their lives. I also aware them about female rights, protection of environment and so through different projects. One of the social project that I did with my students.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnDCyCvbjso ). The dreams of my students, their small achievements but by now I have also realized that if I have to make a more remarkable impact, I would have to take support of more people in my passion. More people should be passionate about it, then only education system of Nepal would change in a proper way. And here, I am proud that I have been selected as a Global Youth Ambassador of A World at School and now will be helping to reduce the number of children who are not being able to go to school in my country through my effort as well as the effort of other five hundred ambassadors of eighty different countries. ( http://www.aworldatschool.org/news/entry/500-young-leaders-become-a-world-at-school-youth-ambassadors )

I hope to gain different tools and techniques that would be beneficial for the education sector in the context of my country, for the support that we can get from each other as I think I can also contribute to some extent in the educational field in the international level and most of all I hope to get the inspiration to continue my journey in this field because by now what I have realized is that motivation is the only tool that can make the people stand still in this field as there are so many pit holes where we can fall and so many hazards in the society who don't let us move to fulfill our dream of an educated society.





No comments:

Post a Comment