Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Saurab and his drums (Story of Transformation 19)

My cell phone blinked with the notification that it needed some space.

I went through the pictures that I could delete. Going through the old photographs is just like reliving those old days. I stuck on this picture.
Saurav, playing drums on school's annual function of 2072
Saurab, I knew him three years back. He was in his grade six then. A good looking, silent boy, who liked sitting in the last bench. Whatever you would ask, that wouldn't matter much to him. Sometimes I would feel, the wall beside him would speak but Saurab! No, he wouldn't. It was so difficult for me to read his mind. What he was thinking or what he was going through. Every pedagogy says you must touch the life of your student as a teacher. Touching his life was a big goal, I wasn't able to just have a good conversation with him.
****
First term exam was approaching and I was preparing for their speaking tests. I wasn't able to think of any questions that would make Saurab speak. Then, in one of my classes, I realized him beating his desk and smiling. I stared (by the way it was not an angry stare) at him, he stopped beating. I noticed, he has cute smile. I asked him what he was doing, but he didn't speak.
****
Saurab was there just opposite me ready for the speaking test. Since I had seen him beating the desk, I just asked him whether he liked playing drums. I could see him smiling. He nodded to say yes. 
"Can you share something about drums?"
"A drum set is played by a single player with drumstick held in both hands and the feet operating pedals that control the hi-hat cymbal and the beater for the bass drum. ........" 
I guess he learned all that in his music classes, but whatever he was telling it was a very new knowledge for me and a moment of happiness for me as I was listening him speak for the first time. Slowly we had a good rapport. We started talking about drums. He even promised me to teach me playing drums but it was my fault, I couldn't be his good student. But he turned as my good student. Saurab changed drastically. He always used to write about drums. I could see his writing skills improving. The characters of his stories always had a drummer. He used to share about how he learned a new beat. 
He was inspired to come to school and read just because of that drum set. Saurab who used to fail earlier, amazingly he secured 10th position in last session's final exam. He shared that news so enthusiastically. I hope he is improving every single day.
It's already two months I haven't seen him playing his drums but I am sure he must be learning new skills day by day. I can guarantee that some day he would turn out as a best drummer of the nation as he aspires to be. I can't imagine how happy I would be to see him playing his drums among thousands of people with his evergreen cutest smile on his face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment