Monday, December 28, 2015

She made me apologize for what I had asked her to write...

Fellowship of Teach For Nepal; I completed it seven months back, now I am an alumni of Teach For Nepal working inside the classroom. It may seem like I have learnt all the lessons as a teacher, a mentor in those two years and now in my third year I am just using those learning so easily and gracefully. 
Oh! oh! not exactly.
I am learning each day even now. I try new things even now. I continue some and leave most of them. Even now I do mistakes, but important is I learn lessons from each of them. The most important lesson that I have learned joining this fellowship is to continuously reflect up on what we do each day before going to sleep, then to cherish even the smallest of the achievement and promise to learn from every mistake I do and learn a lesson. Yes, of course, not to repeat it as well. :)
What we do as mentor is try to link the education that children learn at school with their real lives. We try to make them realize that how important is it to come to school as they can learn so many things on how to make their life worthwhile and to achieve their dreams.
I tried to do the same thing but sometimes even doing that we may do mistake. I did the same mistake recently. Sometimes we look at the majority and don't realize what the minorities on the other side will do who don't have that issue. 
Most of the children whom I teach have their fathers at gulf countries working hard to sustain their life. They do hard labor just to become able to send their children to school and to solve their family's hand to mouth problem. Keeping the same thing in mind, I asked the students of grade seven to write a letter to their father who is working abroad describing about their improvement in their study and their daily schedule.
Yes, if we look at one side, this was the most relevant question for my grade seven. But what I failed to do was I didn't think about what those students will do whose fathers aren't abroad or who don't have their fathers. This I realized so late, when I started checking their copies. 
One of my students doesn't have father any more but I don't know how it slipped away from my mind. But what she wrote really shook my heart and I felt too guilty. Though she took that normally, I can feel how bad she had felt from what she wrote. 
Later, I asked her to forgive me for my mistake and here I am writing this just to share that let's not just look at what majority of students feel, sometimes the feelings of minorities do matter a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment