Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My First Day…..

Usually, we say that  the first day of any class for the students is very important but today as I was stepping my feet for the first day of teaching career in my life, I felt that not only for the students but the first day in the class is also important for the teachers. First day is the day when we make our students know about ourselves, the day when we tend to know about them and also the day when we try to be close to them. And yes, mine was also the same….
To begin with the early feelings, I was very excited as well as worried about my first day from the early morning. I woke up too early and started to make a plan for my first day for making it meaningful. Then I received good luck message from Rijuta which made me more excited and happy. Then as per our plan we (Seetu, Suman and me) met at Lagankhel at 9am and Rafael joined us to drop us at  Jyotidaya. We caught a micro bus for Chapagaun and reached Jyotidaya Co-operative School. Yes, Jyotidaya was only a new school for Suman as Seetu and I had already been there on practice teaching but we too were worried as well as excited for our first day.
At 10:00am, the school bell rang……………………………………..and without any formal notice or introduction we were just informed that we have to move on to our respective classes as per the old schedule to teach. We were on a dilemma where to go and what to do as we were told that today was just the informal class. Our vice-principal showed us the old schedule and told us to move according to our subject and class. He took us to our respective class. My first class was at grade 9. When I first saw the students, my mind went blank. I could not remember what I was going to do and what my plans were. I didn’t know why it happened as they were the same students whom I had taught in practice teaching. Then, suddenly I heard someone calling by my name which made me regain my confidence. 


Then I started my class just I started my learning at TFN learning Institute i.e. by introducing singing a song (Ohoo la la, Ohoo la la, my name is………….). My students were happy doing that and then I thought to do something which would help me to know how they feel about themselves using adjectives for themselves as Laxman Gyawali sir did with us in our first class. Then I asked them to choose an adjective for them and write it in the board also with their picture. As they did that, I took their photograph so that I can remember their names even at home. Elizabeth had given me this idea and I found out it very helpful as I am watching their pictures now, I am remember every moment of my first class and them as well.

Our school was only up to 1 pm today, me and Seetu did not have to take other classes as there was not other classes of English before 1 pm. So we just observed other classes and introduced with some other colleagues, talked with our principal and vice-principal about our courses. As a whole I had an exciting first day but I am little unhappy that I was not able to introduce with the students of other classes today. As we say, “morning shows the day.”, I am hopeful that my rest of the two years of teaching will be exciting as my first day was exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment